Mother seeks justice for son allegedly slain by officer | News
LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) -- The mother of 15-year-old Bobby Moore III, a teen shot and killed by a Little Rock police officer, says if convicted, the manslaughter charge for Officer Josh Hastings would be a 'slap on the wrist.'
Moore's mother, Sylvia Perkins, told Today's THV in a phone call Monday the arrest is a step in the right direction, but she feels a stronger charge is warranted.
Hastings turned himself in Friday for last month's shooting and Monday pleaded not guilty to manslaughter.
The officer shot the 15-year-old in August because he says Moore was trying to break into cars at a Little Rock apartment complex, then tried to get away, driving right at him.
Prosecutors, however, say Hastings' story does not add up.
Monday, Today's THV secured a copy of Officer Hastings' arrest warrant which lays out why prosecutors believe the shooting amounts to manslaughter.
The warrant reads: "This indicates the person recklessly caused the death of another person."
Details were released Monday of the police interview with Hastings and with the boys in the car with Bobby Moore that day.
The report states the statement he gave investigators conflicts with evidence collected at the scene.
The evidence, however, does line up with statements given by the other boys inside the car -- namely, that Hastings fired two rounds after the car had already stopped or it had been placed in reverse.
Also, an autopsy revealed one bullet traveled though Moore's head, from left to right. This indicates Moore's head was likely turned right, looking over his shoulder, as a person does when they are backing a vehicle.
Second, an inspection of the undercarriage of the vehicle shows the car did not jump a curb and a rocky embankment, traveling toward Hastings as he suggested, nor did it travel at a high speed as the officer also suggested.
Follow Daniel on Twitter @dan_wilkerson.